From Captured by the Cyborg: What a way to sell a job…

preorder captured

Amazon | Amazon UK

Welcome to Weekend Writing Warriors and another snippet from Captured by the Cyborg, a science fiction romance. Illumina Smith has applied for computer job at the Moonbeam remanufacturing plant, located a kilometer below the barren surface of the moon Deceptio. She is being interviewed by our cyborg hero Dale Homme. He’s telling her a bit about the working conditions she’ll face if he hires her…

“You won’t be able to leave the facility until your furlough. You’ll work here—and live in the employee barracks. For months at a time you won’t see sunlight, hear a bird or an insect sing, or feel the wind on your face. You’ll be stuck with the same people day in and day out—and by the way, there will be no natural rotation to mark the time. Day and night are controlled by artificial lighting and work schedules. The only visitors to Deceptio are pre-approved buyers or sellers. For security reasons, you won’t be permitted contact with any outsiders, including your family.”

Her lips twitched with a slight smile.  “You make it sound so appealing.”

“We lose a lot of good employees to moon fever who can’t handle the isolation.”

Would you want this job? Illumina does, but why????

Captured by the Cyborg book description

Sometimes the biggest risk is to one’s heart….

An ex-Cyber Operations field agent, Dale Homme has kissed danger and betrayal more times than he cares to count. Now he runs a clandestine factory beneath the surface of the moon Deceptio, where confidentiality and security matter more than anything. When a beautiful young woman arrives seeking a job, Dale knows within minutes she’s lying. Everything about her is false: her past, the people she claims to know, her reason for being on Deceptio. Illumina Smith? Even her name is an alias.

Logic says send her packing. His gut says she’s in trouble. She needs him. So he’ll do anything to keep her safe….even if it means keeping her captive.

Thanks for visiting and commenting. I hope you’ll check out some of the other authors of Weekend Writing Warriors. Click on the logo to see a list of authors & genres.

new wewriwa

This entry was posted in Weekend Writing Warriors and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

29 Responses to From Captured by the Cyborg: What a way to sell a job…

1. I’m very curious as to why she’s anxious to work in these conditions. Great tease! I pre-ordered this title yesterday. 🙂

You’re the early bird, Jessica! First one here. Thanks for the preorder! As I write this, I’m waiting for the print version to load on CreateSpace.

2. Fascinating and a lot of questions go with it. You are one terrific writer with an imagination that makes me feel uncool.

Oh, no! You shouldn’t feel that way. You’re writing contemporary fiction, requires difference elements than sci-fi romance. Science fiction romance naturally lends itself to imaginative scenarios. One of the reasons I love it so much is because I can just make stuff up. I look at some of the things other writers come up with and I think, “Damn, why didn’t I think of that!”

3. T. M. Hunter says:

Sounds like my job before they finally moved me into a building with windows…fun little snippet. 🙂

I once worked in a windowless office too. In the winter, I got to work before it was light, and left after it was dark. I never saw daylight in the wintertime. Hmm…maybe my subconscious used that experience in this story…

4. Sounds like a perfect situation for a hermit, or someone who doesn’t want to be found. Intriguing!

5. Alexis Duran says:

Depending on where you’re coming from, a little quiet isolation might be just the thing! Especially if you’re hiding. Love the phrase “moon fever”.

6. She seems to have a sense of humor.

She would take this job no matter what it entails, but she can recognize the humor in it–that to most people it wouldn’t appeal.

7. He makes it sound so enticing (not!). Intrigued as to why she would want to work there. An excellent snippet.

8. At least he’s honest. Some people might lie to trap workers there, at least for a little while.

9. I think he’s wise not to sugar coat anything, just spell it all out. But it is curious why she wants to work there, good point someone made! Excellent excerpt.

10. Haha! You can tell the commenters are all writers. We’d love a bit of that serious isolation. 🙂

It sounds intriguing, Cara.. Makes me wonder what she’s hiding.

My excerpts are from a WIP. I’m 42K into it. Goal of around 80K. 🙂

11. Why indeed? Gak, what a salesman he is. Nice snippet. Definitely makes me wonder why on Earth (or not) she wants a job like that!

I’ve learned that whenever a job interviewer tells you something negative about the job when he/she should be selling it–it’s best to pay attention.

12. You have a great flair for names, Cara. Last week I believe I commented on Illumina. Today, Deceptio leaped out at me.

I’ve had fun with names with this series. Readers may not realize it, but since the heroes are cyborgs, I’ve given them names that mean “man.” Brock Mann, Kai Andros, Dale Homme, Sonny.

13. Stephanie says:

A desperate girl, obviously looking to hide out somewhere for a while. Makes me wonder what Illumina is hiding from, and whether that makes her more or less appealing to Dale as an employee. Very intriguing 🙂

That would be hard for me. I grew up in Seattle with nine months of gray and as soon as I moved to Colorado Springs in the winter, life was better because they got sunlight. So yeah, I’d have to decline. Great snippet, Cara. 🙂

Me too, Siobhan! I grew up in Southern California where I took sun for granted. After I got married, I moved to Coeur d’ Alene, which is gray 60% of the time. I commuted into Spokane, Wa., where I worked in a windowless office. Then we moved to an island north of Seattle. Also gray, most of the time.

15. E.D. Martin says:

I too have worked in a windowless building where I got to work before sunrise and left after sunset. She’d have to be desperate to take this job.