Reader’s Parlor: Find out what Sophia Rose of Delighted Reader is reading now

Reader’s Parlor is a weekly feature in which I interview readers! Please welcome today’s guest, Sophia Rose, a reviewer for the Delighted Reader blog.

Cara Bristol: What do you like to read?

Sophia: Anything and everything.  Okay, well not really.  But I have grown careful about sweeping statements like I won’t read horror.  Well guess what?  I’ve read a few books that fall into the horror genre and loved them.  Size?  I welcome all comers from short story to Encyclopedia Britannica sized books. Heat and content?  Again, pretty open about that- sweet to sweltering, inspirational to taboo.  I’ve pushed my hard lines a few times and discovered that it wasn’t so bad moving that line.

Cara Bristol: Why do you read? What do you enjoy most about reading?

Sophia: I’ve been reading since I was four years old so it’s hard to say exactly why I read.  Bottom line, I love it and I need it.

I enjoy escaping into a book or learning new things.  Books can be a solace when I’m sick or having a bad day, but also make boring times like sitting in the dentist’s waiting room more than endurable.  Books take me to places I’ll likely never see in real life and they stretch my imagination muscles.  Even fiction stories can teach about real life and living as I read about people who are very different from me.  Haha, guess many of these reasons I enjoy reading can also answer why I read, too.

Cara Bristol: What do you love to see in a story? What are your pet peeves?

Sophia: I love to see a story that grabs me from the first paragraph, has a clever and creative world, wit and humor, good pace and development, has characters I can like or hate and root for or boo (must count a good villain in), characters who act and think with authenticity.  Stories that may be flawed, but can still take my breath away.  Sometimes I like the comfort of a book that fits a pattern, but most of the time I adore being surprised.

As to the peeves, there are many, I suppose.  I try to avoid them because many of my peeves boil down to personal preference and are no reflection against the book itself.

Some examples of my peeves:  secret baby (when the dad is not a homicidal maniac), unnecessary love triangle (spare me your selfish indecisiveness), most cases of infidelity, stupidity that is harmful to others (usually in an action plot), long mental monologues (let me out of your head, I beg you, LOL), and screw-ups with no apology or change in behavior.

Cara Bristol: What’s on your TBR list right now?

Sophia: My TBR list makes Mt. Everest run away to mommy.  I have 3355 books on my actual, my electronic, and my audio shelves.  I’m slowly remedying the problem by fewer purchases or freebies, not taking as many review commitments, and reading more from my shelves.

Cara Bristol: 3355? Holy cow!

Sophia: My next books from my TBR pile to be read are:

1. Cress by Marissa Meyer
  2. Stars Above by Marissa Meyer
  3. Elsker by ST Bende
  4. The Knight’s Scarred Maiden by Nicole Locke
  5. Stranded With the Cyborg by Cara Bristol (oh, look at that, I’m finally going back for the first book since I read the others. LOL)

Cara: When you’re not reading, what do you like to do?

Sophia: Cooking, gardening, walks, writing cards & letters, organizing (not crazy, but I do like my lists and uncluttered spaces), visiting historical or natural points of interest, my volunteer work, writing, very amateur photography, watching movies, play cards, and playing the piano.

Cara: If you could meet one fictional character, who would it be and why?

Sophia: Amelia Peabody from Elizabeth Peter’s Amelia Peabody series.  I’d love to experience an Egyptian archaeological adventure with her.

Quick five:

Ebook, print or audiobook: all the above

Your favorite place to read: back porch

Number of books you read in a year: usually 400+

Haha. It will only take you 8+ years to get through your TBR list! A favorite childhood book?The Black Stallion by Walter Farley

Favorite beverage while reading: water

Sophia Rose bio

Sophia is a quiet though curious gal who dabbles in cooking, book reviewing, and gardening. Encouraged and supported by an incredible man and loving family. A Northern Californian transplant to the Great Lakes Region of the US. Lover of Jane Austen, Baseball, Cats, Scooby Doo, and Chocolate.

Sophia has been a teacher, family researcher, small business owner, family service worker, family literacy and fatherhood initiative coordinator.  Recently, she was a winner of a short story writing contest that led to three more short stories being published.  Thus, checking off a big item from her teenage Dreams list.  There are still living in Alaska, traveling to Scotland, and working as a marine biologist left on the list.

Social Media Links:
FacebookGoodreadsInstagramTwitter | Delighted Reader blog

This entry was posted in Guest blogs, Reader Parlor and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

17 Responses to Reader’s Parlor: Find out what Sophia Rose of Delighted Reader is reading now

1. Sophia Rose says:

Thanks so much for inviting me to visit and chat about books, Cara. I had a blast. 🙂

2. Jo jones says:

Love seeing what others like and dislike. Great series.

3. Lea Kirk says:

Nice to “meet” you, Sophia. 3355…dang, girl! That’s amazing. Lol. Thanks for sharing a little bit about you. 🙂

4. Lisa Medley says:

I’d love to see that entire Teenage Dreams list! Working as a marine biologist was on mine too, until I found out how much math would be involved…and I lived in the Midwest. Jacque Cousteau was my hero!!!

• Sophia Rose says:

Yes! Jacque Cousteau might have had a hand in that particular dream along with visiting a Marine World and three seaside aquariums regularly. Oh man, that dream list was long. 😉 Still chipping away at it.

Thanks for chatting, Lisa!

5. Sophia,
    Thanks for sharing. It’s great to learn more about different readers.

Question: Do you ever stop reading a book before you finish it? If so, what are some things that will cause you to do that?

• Sophia Rose says:

You bet, Celeste. Cara has a fun series of interviews and I loved participating.

Answer: Yes. I have learned to DNF a book when its not a good match for me. It’s tough, but I will do it now. I used to feel too guilty to stop reading, but then I realized that I wasn’t doing the book or myself any favors. Not every book can be for every person. As to what will cause me to stop, there are several reasons, but I’ll try to narrow it down:
      1. Sadly, boredom. Yep, I can’t seem to get into a book no matter how long I keep reading. Usually, I give it to about 25% or a third of the way to see if its just a slow build start.
      2. Next, there is a philosophy behind the writing, trope, or element that I don’t agree with or just can’t stand to read. I try to catch this from the blurb before I buy, borrow or accept for review the book, but sometimes I can’t tell until I start reading b/c the blurb was vague enough or it wasn’t a big element to the blurb writer. I’ve gotten really short on patience for soapboxing in fiction no matter what the subject even if its one I hold with myself.
      3. And, the last is that I either have come to loathe a protagonist so much that I’ll not change my mind no matter what happens later in the book or I really can’t buy into the basis of the story itself or the relationship enough to just go with it. An example, is romances that are instant love.
      So, those are the big ones.
      Great question, Celeste!

• Thanks, Sophia!

I used to feel bad about not finishing books too, but then I decided life is too short and there are too many good books to waste times on the ones that aren’t doing it for me.

But, I have also learned to look at why a book doesn’t work for me and that has helped me to be a better writer.

6. Lola says:

Sophia is one of my favorite bloggers. It was fun reading this interview with her :). Just like Sophia I read almost anything except for horror/ thriller, but I do make an exception to that now and then. I do think reading 400 books a year is impressive, I usually read around the 90-120. I am not a fan of secret baby plot lines either. Stranded with the Cyborg is still on my to-read list as well. Great interview!

Thanks, Lola! 90-120 books is still very impressive. That’s two a week.

• Sophia Rose says:

Ahhh, thanks for saying so, Lola! Right back at you.

Its neat how some books can cross a comfort line like horror or thrillers and still be fantastic reads, right?

Yeah, 400 is insane, but its because I read very fast and I’m not one for TV or gaming or other fun entertainment media outlets so it all gets channeled at books.

And, seeing your comment, I realized that I said I was reading Stranded With Cyborg in my last month’s batch and didn’t. It’s going to be read in January. 🙂 Then Married To A Cyborg and on to the newest. 🙂

Thanks for visiting, Lola!

7. Deanna Lang says:

Wow! That’s an impressive number of books in your TBR. What do you use to keep track of it?

• Sophia Rose says:

Howdy, Deanna!

I have an Excel list and also have them on a ‘to read’ shelf on GoodReads. Yes, I need to weed through them and either pass them on, delete them, or finish them. And definitely stop piling on more. LOL