Scandalous! Some new uses for old books…

print and ebook

“Print books are dinosaurs in a mammal world.” –Cara Bristol, 2014.

Print and ebooks  co-exist now, but I envision that within a short period of time ebooks will overtake print in usage, if not popularity. I foresee that one day print publishing will be relegated to specialty projects such as coffee table books, celebrity-tell-all memoirs, and a few proven best sellers. Books will become collectibles like vinyl records.

Which probably means you should hang onto them. Because even though there are gazillions out there now, as print fizzles, paper books will become more rare and therefore valuable–especially those first editions. That’s another prediction.

However, not all books are worthy of being keepers. As libraries are converted to electronic versions, what do you do with all those books? Fear not! They can be repurposed!

I stumbled upon a DIY Pinterest board with some creative uses for old books:

Great for the those tear-jerkers

Time to read

Books as art

Saving for more books

Reading light

Wouldn’t this make great Kindle cover?

Have I scandalized you?

By the way, this particular pinner has some great boards.

* * * *

Speaking of books…For the Spring Fling Hop, I offered a copy of Breeder, the first book in the sci-fi romance seriesfor commenting on my blog. I drew a winner’s name this morning. Ready? The winner is…Skeeter Lee!

Winners of the Grand Prizes are:

Kindle Fire— Sally Fryman Wagoner

$75 Amazon Gift Card— Eva

$25 Starbucks Gift Card— Eva Millien

$25 Blushing Books Gift Card— Kathy Osborn

$25 Loose Id Gift Card— Jessica Subject

This entry was posted in Life 101 and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

14 Responses to Scandalous! Some new uses for old books…

1. S.J. Maylee says:

Cute. I really like seeing books around my house and not just on my book shelves. I’m not sure I could drill into them though. Just call me wimpy. 🙂

In truth, I don’t think I could deface a book in any of these ways either. But I thought it was an interesting idea. I hope everyone knows I’m being tonque-in-cheek. Books are special.

2. Very interesting and thought provoking Post Cara… I, like Sydney, like my books and cherish the bookshelf’s and coffee tabled areas they adorn, (I have many) and often a new friend or colleague will compare my habit-ed collections to a library…

On the other hand, I love the ease and non-clutter of the E-Book and all the ability and avail it provides. I guess I will always have and want these two avenues to cherish and use as needed and warranted… Your post does give one much to contemplate, though, as to how we as consumers will be perceived in the future… *smile*

Many people these days do straddle both sides, keeping their print books but also availing themselves of Kindle. My husband and I have a beautiful “library” with built-in shelves, but have fewer books than ever. He, however, remains a diehard print person. You can have his paper book when you pry it from his dead bloody hands.

3. I love the look of old books and really like the idea of hanging them on the wall. As I’ve mentioned, my husband and I are in the process of moving in w/my parents and my mother has enough books to challenge most small public libraries…so when you have to lug the darned things all over the house, a kindle sure seems like a nice idea.

But, I’ll admit that I’ve kept several books from law school around just because they look cool.

I have always loved books. When I was kid I used to think that working in a book store would be the best job ever. However, even before getting a Kindle, I have pared down my book collection to favorite novels and reference books. That old set of encyclopedias in which “some day” man will land on the moon? Gone. Mediocre novels that I’ll never read again? Gone. Books telling how to travel on “$35 a day?” Gone. Textbooks from classes I found boring in the first place? Gone. Even a dictionary becomes out-of-date after a while because it does not include new words. Also, books become less important when you pack and unpack them and physically move thousands of them several times. I could have used those encyclopedias for some of these projects!

• I’ve become more mercenary about books too. I’ll borrow from the library and if I really like a book, I’ll buy it and let it have space on the shelf, but it has to earn it! I have some reference books in “actual book” form but it’s easier to type the word into google and get a definition than to get up and get the dictionary.

When my mom parted w/a few books she said “Well, there goes our reference material.” And I thought “we’ve still got wifi so who cares?” Fortunately I didn’t say that out loud.

4. Casey McKay says:

I actually just really enjoy that you quoted yourself at the beginning of this post. It made me smile.
    I like books, they way they look, the way the smell… Since getting a Kindle though, I hate reading a hardcover book, it’s so big and clunky and not at all light. Not conducive to cuddling up on the couch.

Books do smell good. I love the smell of bookstores. But Kindle is so user-friendly. Even more than a book.

When books all but disappear, you can say you read it first on Cara’s blog back in 2014. 🙂

5. I have a Kindle which comes in handy in places like a doctor’s waiting room, or while the car is getting new tires, but when I’m relaxing at home, I much prefer a print book. I have a huge collection of signed books. How the hell do you get an autograph on a Kindle? I’ll probably attend a few meetings this summer, romance authors and perhaps a leather event or two. I want to have print books, so I can sign them, and the consumers can take home a souvenir. I’m a dinosaur, but I simply cannot envision a Kindle library.

I have a collection of autographed books too. That is a downside to ebooks. But you can send a Kindlegraph message to a reader.

Love these ideas…so cute! I have a hard time throwing out old books…even outdated textbooks from college, so it’s probably good that I’m buying mostly ebooks these days.

It took me a while to unload, but it was mostly motivated by moving and not wanting to haul heavy boxes of stuff I would never move. Before one move, DH and I donated more than 600 books to the friends of the library.