Writing Process Hop: love those screaming hotties!

writer mugThe Writing Process Blog Hop continues. Author Celeste Jones tagged me to explain how I write and charged me to tag up to three other authors to discuss theirs. My answers to the questions are here today. On March 17, you can find out about authors Lisa Medley, Rolling Hand, and Karla Doyle on their blogs.

What am I working on?

I have two stories about to go into editing with my publishers: Terran, the second novel in the Breeder science fiction romance series, and Long Shot, a Corbin’s Bend domestic discipline series novella. Terran,  will be released by Loose Id mid May and Long Shot will be released by LazyDay in mid June. I plan to submit Long Shot in a day or two. Once it’s is off my desk (temporarily), I’ll start writing Breeder 3: Warrior.

How does my work differ from others in its genre?

Most (not all) spanking romances focus on the relationship of an individual couple in which spanking is the norm for the hero/heroine, but not necessarily for everyone else around them. While my novellas and novels focus on an individual couple and their spanking relationship, the stories have been set within a spanking community. For instance, in my Rod and Cane domestic discipline series, one or both partners belong to an organization of men who spank their women. In the new soon-to-released Corbin’s Bend series developed by Thianna D, all stories are set in a community where all residents are spankos. The Breeder series takes place on male-dominated planet where corporeal punishment is accepted norm.

Why do I write what I do?

I am intrigued by the fact that most real life couples who practice domestic discipline hide their lifestyle (except when they’re blogging about it!). The kids don’t know, their parents don’t know, their vanilla friends don’t know. The closeted nature of it makes me want to bring it out into the open. And I like dominant, macho men as heroes.

What is my writing process?

rc-5-300x188I get a story idea and start daydreaming away from the computer. Characters start talking to me. Traits form. Scenes come to mind. I get a beginning and an ending. Then, in just a few words, I jot out a timeline progression and try to fill in the middle. My entire “outline” for Rod and Cane 5, which I placed on hold to write Terran and Warrior, is only 285 words contained on 35 Post-it notes.

Plotting to me feels forced, stilted and makes me uncomfortable. It’s my least favorite part writing.

When I start the first draft of a book, my goal is to write at least 1K every day—but in reality I strive for 10K a week, so obviously most days I produce more. After I’ve put in my word count, I take a walk (3 miles), and I think about my story and more ideas come to mind. I do a lot of plotting while I walk.

If you do the math, 1K per day x 365 days equals 365,000 words in a year. However, you have to deduct for an equal amount of revision time, days spent on publisher edits, promotion, and life demands. In 2013, I wrote almost 220,000 words.

I used to write seven days a week, but recently started a new process in which I write six days a week and then on Sunday I do a week’s worth of blogs and other promo, which frees me up to think only about writing during the week. It has been working well.

The better writer I become—the more time I spend re-writing and editing. It takes me nearly as long to revise, edit and proof as it does to the write the first draft. I wrote Terran (about 60K) in five weeks. It took me another five weeks to whip it into shape for submission.

I love writing when the story is fresh, hot and screaming. Unfortunately, I can’t always focus on those ideas due to contractual obligations and deadlines. A Scent of Longing, Unexpected Consequences, Body Politics and Breeder (and Terran) were screaming hotties.

And that’s how I roll!

Please visit these authors on March 17 to find out about their writing processes:

Lisa Medley

Lisa has always enjoyed reading about monsters in love and now she writes about them. Reapers. The grim kind. She adores beasties of all sorts, fictional as well as real, and has a farm full of them in her Southwest Missouri home, including: one child, one husband, two dogs, two cats, a dozen hens, thousands of Italian bees, and a guinea pig. She may or may not keep a complete zombie apocalypse bug-out bag in her trunk at all times, including a machete. Just. In. Case.

Her first urban fantasy romance novel, Reap & Repent, is available with Harlequin E.

Karla Doyle

Karla Doyle grew up in a small town on the shore of the Great Lakes. She trained and worked in the fashion industry, designing and making everything from ladies’ swimwear to dog collars, for most of her adult life. Karla has since traded her needle and thread for a word processor, and now spends her time writing sexy romances. When she’s not writing, she loves spending time with family, friends and her pets, as well as reading and hitting the gym. Karla currently has five books available. Read the synopses and first chapters on her website.

Her latest release, A Cup of Sugar, is lighting up the charts on Amazon.

Rollin Hand

Rollin Hand has been writing erotic spanking fiction since 1999. He writes what he likes to call the “uncommon spanking story.” The idea, he says, is to write stories within other genres including mystery, western, sci-fi, historical drama and paranormal thriller, while organically mixing spanking erotica into the plot line.Rollin’s writings thus cover a wide range of styles and story types. His orientations are M/F, F/F, and F/M, sometimes mixed in the same story. He has written to date over 120 stories, novellas, novels, articles and poems. Although most of Rollin’s works are short fiction and novellas, He has written four longer works, Atonement, a private eye-type mystery; Flash Gordon and the Menace from Mongo, a retro sci-fi adventure; LaForge,  a supernatural thriller trilogy; and Pendragon’s Lash, a medieval period/ sci-fi blend.

When he is not writing, he’s attempting to hold down his day job as an IP attorney, playing golf, downhill skiing or jamming on jazz guitar. Rollin hails from the Pacific NW.

You can find some of Rollin’s stories on his blog at www.disciplinarytales.blogspot.com. He also has a number of eBooks for sale at Amazon, Barnes and Noble, Apple, Kobo and Blushing Books. Check out his author page at http://www.amazon.com/Rollin/e/B009ZJUH50.

This entry was posted in Romance writing and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

22 Responses to Writing Process Hop: love those screaming hotties!

1. Karla Doyle says:

Thanks for the tag, Cara, and for the shout-out! You and I have the Post-It note board in common. 🙂

2. These posts are always so interesting. Thanks for sharing.

Of the 220,000 words you wrote last year, how many got published?

I agree about the writing and re-writing, but isn’t it wonderful to realize how far you’ve come (and all the possibilities of the future).

Basically, all but 20K. I wrote 20K on the fifth Rod and Cane book, and then set it aside to work on Breeder. The 220,000 does include Terran, which will be published this May and Major Changes, my story in Milestones, which was published in February.

3. Casey McKay says:

I love to see other writer’s processes! Yes, I do a lot of planning in my head as well. That is good exercise and something to think about while you walk your three miles!

You must be doing something right, Cara, because you keep churning out amazing books 🙂

4. I love the post it note idea!
    I’m still trying to figure out what works best for me – I’m bracketing 🙂

I also have my best plotting sessions during exercise. An easy run is enough to really get my creative juices flowing- sometimes to well!

Last time that happened, I had to sprint home and forego the stretch so I could write the idea down before I forgot it!
    🙂
    Thanks for sharing!
    🙂

5. Thanks for sharing your process Cara. You’re such an inspiration because you’re a magnificent writer and you seem so disciplined.

I’m glad to hear your daily/weekly writing goals. Mine are similar. Whenever I hear people talking about writing 3000-5000 words a day I can’t fathom that. My ideas don’t move that fast in my head. 🙂

I know! I have hit gusts of 3K in a day–but that’s an exception. I can’t maintain that pace. I did NaNoWri, which is 1667 words per day (which worked out to 2K because of missed days) and it was TOUGH. Draining. I would not want to work that way all the time.

6. Just love this Writing Process Hop and find the thoughts and ideas so informative and educational too… Thank You, Cara, and all the other participants… You are cultivating good ideas and work ethic in many of us… –Joseph

I am loving these posts and seeing how everyone’s writing process varies. You always seem so organized and disciplined, Cara, and I’m kind of a little jealous of that. 🙂

Wow, I love the idea of going for a walk after writing to keep the creative juices flowing. AND of dedicating one a day a week to promo stuff– because that can really take over my brain! I also love that you want to bring DD out in the open– I wholeheartedly approve of that goal! 🙂

I’ve been doing the one-day promo thing for a month. At the start of each Sunday, I always feel like I should be writing, but on Monday morning, it feels so good to have the entire week of blogging done.

9. When is the next Rod and Cane book coming out? I always have this image of you completely organized behind your desk. Not sure why but there it is!

I fake organization really well. LOL. I am disciplined about some things, others not so much. I’ve always been disciplined about my word count. Assuming I can have Warrior finished June-ish, then I hope to finish Rod and Cane 5 August-ish–unless a hottie takes over my brain.

Those Post-it notes for R/C 5 are still on my office wall. It’s nonstick painter’s tape, but it’s been there so long I would not be surprised if it took the paint off the wall anyway when I finally get to it.

10. Angela says:

I love the post it notes on the wall 🙂 I also love how you’re trying to plan your promos for one day, opening up the rest of your week to write. I try to write 5 days a week and enjoy my weekends. Between freelance and fiction this gets harder every day. We have to strive for balance. Sounds like you’ve found yours.

I’m looking forward to Terran.
    Blessings! ~Angela

Thank you, Angela. Good for you that you take the weekend off. One needs that balance. I’m not there yet, but I’m working on it.

11. Chuck Robertson says:

I like the idea of taking one day a week just for promoting your works. It’s something I’d like to do, except the day job keeps getting in the way.

12. Thanks for the great info! I love your post it note idea. I use a legal pad and put down a skeleton and then start working. I have to work around my bookstore manager job and the hours are all over the place. I get at least 1,000 words a day, usually more since I write in multiple genres and names and have to keep the juices flowing. 🙂

For the blogs I also try to knock them out in one day so I don’t have the pressure of posts getting forgotten looming over my head. With ten blogs I am a busy woman. 🙂 In between I work on my music reviews and listening to the classical music helps focus me on the task at hand.

I love the post it note idea-going to try that. In the past I have used the Plot Whisperer outline with the rise and fall of plot elements with the notes. It helps when I remember to do it. lol. Usually writing like a fiend when I get the time to sit down. When I am doing menial tasks I try to plot outline in my head and have a plan so when I sit, I am ready to roll. It is the only way I get anything done.

Happy writing!!!