Important updates regarding Warrior and the Breeder series…

Look for Warrior in mid-October!

Look for Warrior in mid-October!

Early in August, I had submitted Warrior, the third and final book of the Breeder science fiction romance trilogy to Loose Id, which published the first two books. At the end of August, Loose Id offered me a contract.

I have wanted more control over my work and my earnings for a while now, so I attempted to negotiate the Warrior contract to get a better deal. Loose Id remained firm on their terms, declining my requests, so I turned down the contract.

I am going to self-publish Warrior! Cara is going rogue!

My plan is to release Warrior in mid-October. I have hired content and line editors and a cover artist to work with me on the project.  I hope to have a cover to show you within a couple of weeks. I’m not sure how long the editing process will take. Once I have a better idea of that, I will announce a publishing date. In addition, I hope to offer Warrior as a pre-order on Amazon.

CB_Breeder_coverlg

Breeder will be going to print in a couple of months.

The prospect of self-publishing is exciting for me. I’ve watched many other authors I know break away and go off on their own and do very well. I admit I’m a little nervous about all processes involved, but I’m sure I can handle it. (As my husband says, “if you run into glitches, you can always ask a 10-year-old for help”).

That’s the first of my news. The second part is that Loose Id has informed me that they intend to go to print with Breeder and Terran.  Other than the anthology Spanked!, these will be my first print books. A paperback version of Breeder should be out “within two months,” (according to Loose Id) and Terran several months after that. My guess is that Breeder will be released before the end of October–the date at which print rights revert back to me. Likewise, a print version of Terran would need to be released by May 2015 (the date at which print rights revert).  Once Terran is released in print, I will follow up with print version of Warrior.

So what happens with the Breeder series after Warrior? I have some (still nebulous) ideas for a spin-off series that would be set in the future on planet Parseon. The hero/heroines

Terran will be going to print!

Terran will be going to print!

are the children of existing Breeder characters. I sowed some seeds for “Progeny” in the epilogue of Warrior. Since a story has not quite gelled in my mind, I don’t see a book occurring any earlier than late 2015. Under the terms of my contracts on Breeder and Terran, I will need to submit that series to Loose Id. I don’t know what will happen.

I foresee much more self-publishing in my future. The contracts on Unexpected Consequences (Rod and Cane Society 1) and A Scent of Longing (my vampire romance) will expire soon with the rights reverting back to me. I will self-publish those. Unexpected Consequences will be re-released fairly quickly after Loose Id removes it from retail sites, but it will a few months before I can self-publish A Scent of Longing. Since it was written for Decadent Publishing’s 1Night Stand series, I may need to rewrite Madame Eve and 1Night Stand out of the story, and  I have a lot on my plate right now.

In other news, Black Velvet Seductions, the publisher of my first books Intimate Submission and Secret Desires, and the anthology, Spanked!, has been sold to a new owner. The timing was right to reclaim the rights to Intimate Submission and Secret Desires. They will be removed from publication probably at the end of third quarter (September), but I have no plans to re-release them at this time. They are only 99 cents, and if you’ve ever thought about buying them, this would be the time because they’ll only be available for a couple more weeks.

Buy Links

Intimate Submission ♥  Secret Desires

And lastly…I am wrapping up Rod and Cane 5, tentatively called Personal Sacrifices, which I will submit to Loose Id by the end of September. I don’t know what will happen with negotiations. They might take it or I might self-publish that one too. I have an idea for another science fiction romance that I am eager to begin writing –as well as a brand new spanking romance series.

I’ve known I’ve needed to take my career to the next level–I just didn’t expect it to happen all at once. Life is an adventure!

This entry was posted in My romances, Romance writing and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

56 Responses to Important updates regarding Warrior and the Breeder series…

1. You have gone rogue and I firmly believe everything in life happens all at once because it’s way more fun that way…for someone…maybe…

I wish you much success in this next step of your career.

2. You are one brave woman! This is so exciting.

3. Lisa Medley says:

Woo hoo! Life is a highway…ride it all night long 🙂 Can’t wait to watch your success!

4. I agree with Natasha, this all happens for a reason.
    Congratulations, Cara!
    I can’t wait to read Warrior, no matter where it comes from.
    (Gah, I ended with a preposition).

🙂
    hugs!
    and congratulations and good luck!
    p.s. I have ten and 13 year old neighbors if you need any help 😉

5. angel says:

Congrats You can do it way to go

6. Rayanna Jamison says:

Wonderful and exciting news! Those books will look incredible in print.

7. S.J. Maylee says:

So much exciting news! I knew this step was coming, but not so soon. Your future is very bright, Cara. 🙂

Thank you, SJ. I’ve made a full circle now. My first book ever published was self-pubbed (under a different name), but then I wanted the credibility of having a publisher. But to take my career to the next level, I need to go off on my own again.

8. Livia Grant says:

I am so excited for you, Cara! It may feel a bit overwhelming, but you’ve done your homework and you have the experience and instincts to pull off great things. I’m selfishly happy that you are paving the way because you are always generous to share with fans of your blog your candid advice with what worked and what didn’t. It is also so exciting to be going to print! BTW, smack that husband. Sounds like something that my hubby would say.
    ~Livia

9. Wow Cara that’s a lot of news! Congratulations! 🙂

Great news! I’m so excited for you.

11. Maren Smith says:

Good for you! I’ll bet this turns out to be the best move you’ve ever made!

12. Anna Zaires says:

Good for you, Cara! This is absolutely the way to go. I’ve been indie from day 1 and have never regretted it for even a moment. Talented writers like yourself don’t need publishers to get their work out there. You can do everything yourself – and often do it better because you’re always going to care more about your books than any publisher.

13. Andrea says:

You’re going to love the control and getting to see how fast everything happens. Best part is finding out which marketing tactics work and which don’t. Indie is awesome, even if a little scary sometimes.

14. Rollin Hand says:

You’ll do fine, Cara. I’ve self published 33 of my 35 books. It’s not that hard. To top it off you’ve got cover designers, editors, etc. which is something I’ve never had. Not having a publisher means the content and direction of the book is your call, and your call alone. I wish you the best.

Thanks, Rollin. I know quite a few authors who’ve always been indie–and many others who eventually went indie after being with publishers. I’m learning from everybody!

15. I have goosebumps, Cara. I think every moment of the road you’ve taken has been for a reason. I’m more than excited to see where this next step takes you.

16. Casey McKay says:

That’s awesome, Cara! I love that you’ve gone rogue- you’re like a character from one of your books 😉

Best of luck! I am sure it will all be great, and you can probably buy off a ten year old’s time with some cookies or something- cheap labor!

Thank you, Casey. Maybe I can turn this into a plot! Actually, I do have an idea in mind for a heroine who is an erotic romance author…

17. Yay! So excited for you. There is much to be said for working with a publisher and just as much (if not more) to be said for indie publishing, especially once you have an established fan base, as you do. Can’t wait to see what the future holds for you!

Thank you, Celeste, for all the pep talks. I do think the time is right for me to self-publish. My readers and fans know what I write at this point so they shouldn’t be scared off the self-publishing.

As for what the future holds, I should have paid more attention to what that psychic in NOLA said. LOL.

18. Susan M says:

Congratulations! I think you will be very glad you did this! Good move and very exciting!

Congratulations and good luck, Cara. Very happy for you. 🙂

20. Wow! Hmm. I have a feeling Loose ID will be a little more open to contract negotiation with you in the future. It’s a big step, but as you said a lot of authors are doing it and being very successful. Wish you all the best, and like Katherine said, I’ll buy it no matter who publishes it, and I know I’m not alone.

Thank you Kathryn. I aim to produce the same quality indie books as the ones published by Loose Id. Readers shouldn’t see a difference at all.

21. Michelle Howard says:

This is awesome Cara. I can sense your excitement. Go rogue!

22. Best wishes! You know I love self publishing….and I’ll be buying your books in whatever place and form I can find them so please keep writing, lady!

23. Woo-hoo! Congratulations, Cara, on both accounts. Both are very exciting. 🙂

24. Addy Raine says:

I’m super excited for you Cara! You’ll be great. 🙂

25. I’m right alongside you, Cara. I’ll be putting a self-published novel up for pre-order on Amazon in October. You will do wonderfully. I have total confidence in you, and your readers are going to love it. Go, Cara, go!

26. Tara Finnegan says:

Big news indeed. The very best of luck with your self publishing venture, Cara. And congrats on your other Breeder books in print.

27. Jule Kijek says:

Everything we work out fine. Of that I have no doubt! You know that I will buy any book you write. I am so glad that the next R&C book will be out. Rouge Cara, Love It.