Rod and Cane Society president dies. #RIP Otis Davenport, #spanking

Dear Rod and Cane Society member:

With deepest sorrow and regret I must inform you that Rod and Cane President Otis Davenport passed away last night. Mr. Davenport died after suffering a massive heart attack while jogging.

Nonpareil in his leadership of the Rod and Cane Society, Mr. Davenport has held every position on the Board of Governance and served as Rod and Cane’s president for the past eight years. He spearheaded the ongoing move to allow women greater participation in the Society, and led us through the most difficult time in our 70-year history–when we were exposed by the News Sentinel.

A lifelong spanko and proponent of domestic discipline, Mr. Davenport was a firm, but fair disciplinarian, a loving husband, a doting father, and a man I was proud to call my friend. He served in the U.S. Navy, held an MBA from the university, led many successful business ventures, and served on numerous charitable boards.

He is survived by his wife Elizabeth Alexander Davenport and their daughter Chloe. A memorial service will be held at 7 p.m. Saturday at the Rod and Cane Society mansion. In lieu of flowers, it is requested by Mrs. Davenport that donations be made either to the Society or one of her husband’s charities.

Mr. Davenport’s passing leaves a vacancy on the Board of Goverance. In accordance with the bylaws, I will serve as interim president until a special election can be held to fill the open seat.  I will do everything in my power to ensure a smooth transition and carry on Mr. Davenport’s legacy.

Sincerely,

Jared Traynor

Vice president,  Rod and Cane Society

♥ ♥ ♥

And the secret is out. As Rod and Cane spanking romance fans know, the long-awaited fifth book in the series is Liz Davenport’s story. However, it is not Otis’s. Reasonable Doubts (Rod and Cane 5)  is set one year after Otis’ death. Liz meets a new man. But can he live up to Otis?

Please join me this week, as I unveil the new Rod and Cane Society series books. The rights to the first ones have reverted to me, and I’ll be re-releasing them later this month with new covers, and a new coordinated look. Each day this week I’ll have a new cover reveal:

• Tuesday – False Pretenses
  • Wednesday – Body Politics
  • Thursday – Disciplinary Measures
  • Friday – Reasonable Doubts!

CaraBristol_UnexpectedConsequences_3dbookPromoGraphic1_640X480_blurb2BTW, there are MORE Rod and Canes to come! Next (I think) will be Jordan Bevy’s story. He was the disciplinary proctor in False Pretenses and oversaw Emma’s spanking. The first book, Unexpected Consequences, is available now and is FREE with Kindle Unlimited.

1000th Blog Contest!

Today’s blog is No. 976. Sometime within the next month or so, I’ll post blog no. 1,000! When that happens, somebody who commented on a blog between now and no. 999 will win a $10 Amazon gift card. Each day that you comment gives you another prize entry!

This entry was posted in Domestic discipline stories, My romances and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

30 Responses to Rod and Cane Society president dies. #RIP Otis Davenport, #spanking

1. Tara Finnegan says:

While I am saddened to hear of the demise of Mr Davenport, it certainly does sound like The Rod and Cane Society are in for some very interesting times ahead. I look forward to seeing how they unfold.

2. Laurel Lasky says:

I am so sorry to hear about the death of Mr. Davenport. He sounded like quite a guy. I will be looking forward to more of Rod and canes.

I knew it! LOL sorry, Otis, but I just had a feeling that this was your announcement. You’ve been dropping hints for a while. 🙂 Looking forward to this one!

4. Casey McKay says:

Oh! I was wondering how you were going to do Liz’s story! I like this (I mean I don’t like that he died)- but you have me intrigued!

I’m looking forward to it 🙂

5. Oh no. I can’t believe he died. Cara, you can’t kill your characters like this! You know I was upset about the other one (I won’t give it away in case others have not read the Breeder series) but Otis now? Who’s next, I ask?? In a way, I suppose I never expect people to die in fiction – at least not people whose names I remember, you know?

Anyhow, RIP Otis. Looking forward to Liz’s story.

6. RIP Otis.

I am so excited for Liz’s story!
    Oh, do I sound unempathetic?
    Sorry.
    🙂

7. Rayanna Jamison says:

Not what I was expecting you to say! I still need to read 3 and 4. I think I will wait until the pretty new covers are revealed!

8. Thianna D says:

I can’t believe you killed off Otis. Poor Liz 🙁

9. S.J. Maylee says:

Poor Otis, but this post was entertaining. I fell in love with your writing with this series and I’m so excited to read Liz’s story. There will be even more R&C to come. Yay! Sorry, Otis. 😉

Thanks, SJ. I got to thinking that maybe Emma should write his obituary in the New Sentinel, but then I realized the Rod and Cane membership should be contacted by Jared.

10. Livia Grant says:

While I’m sorry to hear of Liz’s loss, I can’t say I was overly attached to the dear departed Otis. Interesting times ahead. So very excited for you and Liz too.
    ~Livia

11. Kori says:

Cara, you keep killing off your people and you’re going to get a reputation amongst your characters. They won’t be able to turn their backs without thinking you might throw the axe at them.

Another one bites the dust…ahem… I mean R.I.P. Otis.

In my defense, Otis is the only one in the entire Rod and Cane series (5 books so far) who dies. I have no plans to kill anyone else in the series. I think they’re all all safe.

Now in the Breeder sci-fi series, well, there are a few more deaths there, but most of them are bad guys who deserved it.

12. Jule Kijek says:

I was so saddened to read of the passing of Otis. When I read you were doing Liz’s story, I thought it would be a flashback story of how Liz came to know/marry Otis. This has me intrigued now. A year is a respectable time for Liz to mourn. Can’t wait to see who Liz becomes involved with. Someone who is already in R&C or someone in the vanilla world? Just as long as there are more of these books! This is the series that turned me on to your writing. RIP Otis. You will be missed! (Bows head)

I don’t want people to worry that I will be willy nilly killing off characters for the fun of it. With Otis, it was marketing decision, not a plotting decision. I first introduced Liz and Otis in book 1–before I knew it would be a series. I made Otis much older than Liz, thinking they were going to be secondary characters in one-time book.

THEN the series developed and Liz became more active and clamored for her own book. But if readers do the math, they’ll realize Otis is about age 60. A 60-year-old romance novel hero will not sell. And who would I put on the cover? All the models are young. Any older men are businessmen or look like grandpas. Not sexy.

Blame Liz. If she hadn’t insisted on her own book, Otis would be alive today.

Liz is much younger. She can pull an audience. Otis…not so much.

• Helen Karol says:

I think a 60 year old romance hero might sell. You could do flashbacks. Or there are loads of sexy 60 year old film stars. Robert Redford was in his 60’s in Up Close and Personal and my daughter then 17 thought he was a sexy as all get out! Which he was. I could give you a long list – women too.

Thanks, Karol. I know some women would definitely want to read about a 60-year-old hero. But I would lose the 20s, 30s, 40s, and a good part of the 50s. It’s just too risky.

wow! You shocked me! I am definitely intrigued to read Liz’s story…

14. Liz Castillo says:

This may be my favorite Rod and Cane books just because it’s Liz! And I have a special place in my heart for that name! 😉

I had to write about Liz. She’s a natural — a take-no-prisoners attorney who is TiH by her husband? How could I not write about her?