From Captured by the Cyborg: something about her doesn’t add up

Captured_600x900

Coming March 15, 2016

Cy-Ops Sci-fi Romance 3

In last week’s Weekend Writing Warriors, I debuted the first excerpt of Captured by the Cyborg. If you recall, the heroine has arrived for a job interview. She has beautiful silvery blonde hair, and the hero, a cyborg, is quite taken with it. In this little snippet, she has just introduced herself  as “Illumina Smith.”

Her voice tinkled like chimes blowing in a gentle wind, but the hand that seized his gripped like a steel clamp.

It’s not an arm wrestling match. He hid his amusement while noting the slenderness of her bone structure. “Come in–have a seat.”

She lurched with a jerky, awkward gait to the chair and sat, her posture rigid.

Her robotic movement was so opposite the grace he’d expected, he ran a quick scan. No, not android–an organic, sentient life form, but not human either. “Your name is very unusual.”

“Smith is a common Terran surname.”

If she was Terran, he was a six-eyed, webbed-handed Arcanian.

The all-important book description

Sometimes the biggest risk is to one’s heart….

An ex-Cyber Operations field agent, Dale Homme has kissed danger and betrayal more times than he cares to count. Now he runs a clandestine factory beneath the surface of the moon Deceptio, where confidentiality and security matter more than anything. When a beautiful young woman arrives seeking a job, Dale knows within minutes she’s lying. Everything about her is false: her past, the people she claims to know, her reason for being on Deceptio. Illumina Smith? Even her name is an alias.

Logic says send her packing. His gut says she’s in trouble. She needs him. So he’ll do anything to keep her safe….even if it means keeping her captive.

Dale Homme was a secondary character in book 2, Mated with the Cyborg.

Thanks for visiting and commenting. I hope you’ll check out some of the other authors of Weekend Writing Warriors. Click on the logo to see a list of authors & genres.

new wewriwa

This entry was posted in Weekend Writing Warriors and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

32 Responses to From Captured by the Cyborg: something about her doesn’t add up

1. I love the dichotomy of her voice to her grip, her appearance to her movements. You’ve created a really intriguing character from the very start, Cara!

2. Oh man, I’ll bet Ilumina is a great character- so many unexpected things going on with her in one tiny snippet!

3. She is such a contrast. You have me as curious as Dale as to what she is. Great tease! 🙂

4. Again your imagination boggles my mind. I feel humdrum after reading this fascinating snippet. Wonderful!

Thank you. Sci-fi romance offers such great opportunities to be creative. I tried really hard to think out of the box on this one. I thought, how can I make her different?

5. Bonnie Gill says:

I love your descriptions. I’m sure she’s going to keep him on his toes. Great teaser!

6. I am completely new to this genre of writing (or reading!) and your vivid imagination is amazing. Your last line (If she was Terran, he was a six-eyed, webbed-handed Arcanian) wouldn’t even cross my brain, anchored as it is firmly on planet earth. Great writing.

Thank you. My main characters are all human or, in Illumina’s case, humanoid, but in the process of writing the Cy-Ops Sci-fi Romance series, I created several species of aliens, to use secondary characters. I first introduced the Arcanians in book 1, Stranded with the Cyborg. They’re the pickpockets of the galaxy.

7. Jenna Jaxon says:

I really love the worlds you build. I rarely read sci-fi romance, but yours is one of the ones I look forward to for my summer reading. 🙂 So glad I’ll be able to get this whole series at once! This chick sounds like a character and trouble rolled into one. Dale had better be on his toes!

Here’s an insider tip: In preparation for the release of Captured by the Cyborg (book 3) on March 15, STRANDED WITH THE CYBORG (book 1), will be on sale for 99 cents 3/1-3/3. It will probably go on sale SOONER. It all depends on how quickly Amazon approves the new price (the price change has been inputted & is under review). If you have a Nook, it’s already on sale on Barnes & Noble. On 3/4, the price goes back to $4.99.

8. Never a dull moment with Illumina! Excellent excerpt…

9. Alexis Duran says:

Great description. Like Dale, my curiosity is piqued!

10. The lurching suggests she is not used to her beautiful body!

11. Kim M says:

Love the quip in the last sentence, Cara!

12. Illumina is a wonderfully vivid character–from her name to her appearance to her alien way of moving.

13. Your visual descriptions and the dialogue totally brought me into this scene. And I am soooo curious “what” she is.

Inquiring minds want to know. 🙂 I’m keeping her “species” secret until the release. I imagine reviewers will mention what she is. I hope they don’t. I hope they leave it for other readers to discover on their own.

14. Nancy Gideon says:

Snort! Love this, Cara! Great description and everything is better with humor.

15. I like how she avoids his question–and I wonder what she’s hiding.

16. I like your worldbuilding. Not so far out that I can’t relate…just enough human mannerisms and customs (i.e. handshake) to be able to put myself in their heads.

My favorite line (and I like the way he thinks!) “If she was Terran, he was a six-eyed, webbed-handed Arcanian.” 🙂

Thank you, Teresa. I do want my readers to be able to relate to what I write. I like to think that I write SFR not just for sci-fi romance readers, but also for those readers who don’t like SF.