#8Sunday: From Captured by the Cyborg…success! Or not….

Captured_600x900

TUESDAY, TUESDAY, TUESDAY!
Captured by the Cyborg will be released on Tuesday

If you can’t wait, preorder it here

Welcome to Weekend Writing Warriors and another short excerpt from Captured by the Cyborg. To recap, Illumina has applied for a computer job with the underground Moonbeam spacecraft remanufacturing plant on Deceptio.  Dale Homme, a cyborg, owns and operates Moonbeam.  This is a scene between Illumina and Charlie, Dale’s assistant.

Homme had worn his skepticism like a birthday suit. Naked and bold. Laugh lines spraying out from his eyes indicated he wasn’t always so serious, but he’d squinted with suspicion throughout the interview.

“If you need anything, you can reach me through any comm module.” Charlie pointed to a screen on the wall. “Welcome to Moonbeam, and congratulations. You must have impressed the hell out of Dale for him to hire you before he’d interviewed anyone else.”

He left, and Illumina locked the door behind him with a palm swipe across the screen. I did it — I got the job!

She took a deep breath, filling her lungs with air untainted by fear.

Captured by the Cyborg book description

Sometimes the biggest risk is to one’s heart….

An ex-Cyber Operations field agent, Dale Homme has kissed danger and betrayal more times than he cares to count. Now he runs a clandestine factory beneath the surface of the moon Deceptio, where confidentiality and security matter more than anything. When a beautiful young woman arrives seeking a job, Dale knows within minutes she’s lying. Everything about her is false: her past, the people she claims to know, her reason for being on Deceptio. Illumina Smith? Even her name is an alias.

Logic says send her packing. His gut says she’s in trouble. She needs him. So he’ll do anything to keep her safe….even if it means keeping her captive.

Thanks for visiting and commenting. I hope you’ll check out some of the other authors of Weekend Writing Warriors. Click on the logo to see a list of authors & genres.

new wewriwa

This entry was posted in Weekend Writing Warriors and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

33 Responses to #8Sunday: From Captured by the Cyborg…success! Or not….

1. Deanna says:

Good grief, I love your cyborgs. I can’t wait to get stuck into this one.

2. Kim M says:

Very intriguing, Cara. Why did she lock the door, the first chance she got? She knows he is suspicious, and yet she continues. There must be high stakes to take the risk!
    Loved the line where he “wore his skepticsm like a birthday suit”.

3. Hmm, I’m curious as to why she’s so intent on getting THIS job. There is a mystery there, and I need to know. LOL Great snippet! Looking forward to this one arriving in my Kindle app Tuesday morning. 🙂

4. Jenna Jaxon says:

She should be a bit worried by Dale’s observation that she was hired before any other interviews took place. Something’s fishy here that I think she’s blind to. Can’t wait for the next move! Congratulations on your upcoming release!

5. Fascinating. My skin prickled with excitement reading this snippet. Wishing you success in your writing career.

6. Sheila Hoag says:

I was already hooked; now I’m curious. Fear of what? Fear of who? Ahh, I love sci-fi!

7. You are such a wonderfully descriptive writer, Cara. I’m not surprised your books do so well. Hope this one does too.

8. Love those first two lines! But I have a feeling she isn’t out of the woods yet.

9. Laurel Lasky says:

It’s a provoking paragraph and pulls you in wanting to find out what isn’t being said.

10. I was taking it at face value, feeling a tingle of intrigue until I read the blurb! Wow–so much story potential…and I bet you met it! Wishes for great success coming your way, Cara. I need to get reading. I can’t keep up!

I think this one is the best one of series. Illumina is such a great character, and readers had wanted to know more Dale. He was a secondary character in book 2, Mated with the Cyborg. They mentioned him in their reviews.

11. Untainted by fear…but will it stay that way? The job certainly didn’t sound like it was for the faint of heart.
    LOVE the opening line…gotta dig that bold, nekkid skepticism. Nice job!

12. Bonnie Gill says:

I love the first line. I’m also interested in who she’s screen swiping.
    Nice snippet.

13. Enjoyed the snippet, high stakes going on for the character clearly! Your books are always such a pleasure to read 🙂

14. Naked skepticism, yet she got the job? Makes me wonder if something’s not quite cricket about this job.

15. So she’s got what she wants… which really makes me wonder why she wants it! 🙂

16. I wasn’t sure if she was happy or relieved that she got the job. Looking forward to reading more.