As an author, I work from home and don’t have many meetings to keep track of, but I do have a lot of assignments and virtual events to schedule. Most of them have at least two dates associated with them such as the deadline and the release.
Call me old school, but I use a paper monthly planner. I need to see a month in advance so I know what’s coming up. It would do me no good to find out about a deadline the day of the deadline! I also need a large space write because some days, I have a lot of stuff to keep track off. I want to be able to glance at my calendar and see exactly what I have coming up.
When I worked in corporate sector, I used the Franklin Covey time management system, and it worked well. It doesn’t work for me now because as I said, I need a month-at-a-glance, and the Franklin calendar doesn’t have enough room to write on.
These are the things I keep track of:
- New book publishing dates, i.e. the release date
- The day I start a writing a new book and the day I finish the first draft
- Editing deadlines
- Virtual book tour dates and the individual blogs I appear on
- Deadlines when materials are due to the tour organizer
- Topics I’ve scheduled on my own blog
- Guest author appearances on my blog
- Special promotion dates and locations (freebies, contests, etc)
- Publishing milestones
- Vacations, medical appointments, and the outside meetings/events I do have
- My mother’s doctor appointments (because sometimes I have to drive her)
- When the cat’s flea treatment is due — Lol, I’m always in my office and I don’t want to miss this!
What do you use to keep track of your writing stuff?