Airlock Sparky? Oh no….From Pets in Space #SFR #ScifiRom

Pets in Space

Tuesday, Tuesday, Tuesday!

Pets in Space releases October 11

Maltese puppy, 6 months old, sitting in front of white backgrounWelcome to Weekend Writing Warriors. I’m continuing to excerpt from Spark of Attraction, my story in the Pets in Space science fiction romance anthology.

Story thus far: cyborg Captain Dante Stone has rescued a group of colonists who were attacked by aliens. When he goes to check on their welfare, he discovers a woman has brought a dog on board. Dante is worried the animal may be carrying a disease, posing a danger to the colonists whose health is already compromised. The first line is Dante’s. Miranda Lowell is the heroine and owner of the dog.

“Remove the canine from this ship–animals are not allowed.”

Miranda Lowell recoiled.

“Captain, we’re a parsec away from the nearest life-sustaining planet,” Ochoa said. “The only way to remove him would be to…airlock him.”

“You can’t do that!” The woman rounded on him, horror flickering in eyes too large for her gaunt face. She couldn’t have had much to eat while running from the aliens; surviving colonists had fled the invading horde with only the clothing on their backs.

Her mongrel appeared in much better shape, healthy and well-fed, its short coat groomed and shiny. Good universe—she hadn’t been giving her limited sustenance to the dog, had she?

“Please, don’t send Sparky away.”

Spark of Attraction blurb

Memory: intact. Cognitive function: enhanced. Emotion: erased. After becoming a cyborg, Captain Dante Stone didn’t think he’d ever feel again, until a traumatized young woman and a ball of synthetic fur named Sparky helped him to love.

Pets in Space blurb

sparky-sketchEven an alien needs a pet…

Join the adventure as nine pet loving sci-fi romance authors take you out of this world and pull you into their action-packed stories filled with suspense, laughter, and romance. The alien pets have an agenda that will capture the hearts of those they touch. Follow along as they work side by side to help stop a genetically-engineered creature from destroying the Earth to finding a lost dragon; life is never the same after their pets decide to get involved. Can the animals win the day or will the stars shine just a little less brightly?

New York Times, USA TODAY, Award Winning, and Best selling authors have eight original, never-released stories and one expanded story giving readers nine amazing adventures that will capture your imagination and help a worthy charity. Come join us as we take you on nine amazing adventures that will change the way you look at your pet!

10% of the first month’s profits go to Hero-Dogs.org. Hero Dogs raises and trains service dogs and places them free of charge with US Veterans to improve quality of life and restore independence.

Pets in Space is available for preorder on All Romance, Kobo, Barnes & Noble, iTunes, and Google Play. It will be available for purchase on Amazon on release day, Tuesday, Oct. 11.

Click on the logo to visit the awesome Weekend Writing Warriors:

new wewriwa

This entry was posted in Weekend Writing Warriors and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

31 Responses to Airlock Sparky? Oh no….From Pets in Space #SFR #ScifiRom

1. I wonder if Sparky isn’t going to have something to say about whether he gets spaced.

2. Never try and separate a woman from her pet. Sparks will fly. (I love the expression on the dog’s face in the pic.)

3. Nancy Gideon says:

Oh, Cara, you’ve got me by the animal loving heart! What a great premise for a collection.

I’ve read my co-authors’ stories. They are awesome, and everyone did a great job of having their pet impact the plot while not stealing the story from the hero/heroine. I just hope that readers don’t think this is a YA book; it’s not. The stories are for adults — although, I think, teenagers could read it.

4. I love love love your story! And the illustration is so adorable….awwwwwww! Terrific snippet 🙂

Thanks, Veronica. The illustration came out fantabulous….although now I notice that the dark spot under Sparky could be mistaken for a puddle of pee.

5. Kim Magennis says:

Such a brilliant idea for a collection of never-done-before Sci-Fi! Well done, Cara, and the rest of your contributors.

Capt Dante Stone has obviously never met a devoted canine guardian before. Of course the pup is better fed and in better condition than Miranda!

6. Cara Bristol says:

Thank you! Yeah, I think we have hit upon a unique idea. I’ve read individual books that had pets, but I don’t think I’ve run across an SFR anthology with a pet theme before. I hope readers like it!

7. I love this story, and this is such a pivotal scene. Already have the book pre-ordered. 🙂

8. Interesting contrast between the well-fed dog and gaunt woman.

9. Frank Fisher says:

Definitely liked the physical contrast between Sparky and the woman, but hats off to her for the ordeal she’s had to go through. I sure hope someone convinces the captain to let Sparky stay on board.

10. That is the cutest pet pic ever! And I just love this entire theme. Great snippet!

11. Wonderful story. You have captured this reader. Thank you!

12. Nooo! What kind of monster would airlock Sparky? I don’t care how diseased he is. 🙂

13. Diane Burton says:

Airlock my dog? No way! Great snippet, Cara.

14. Airlock Sparky? Oh nooo! Great scene, Cara.

Absolutely agree that this themed collection was a truly great idea.

15. Amy Braun says:

This snippet was great, and this collection sounds really cool!

16. No! Do not space the dog! Hopefully he doesn’t push this issue. Maybe a quarantine?

17. Jenna Jaxon says:

I’m hoping Miranda can find some emotion in Dante and save Sparky! You know you had me as soon as there was a dog in danger. I also like Miranda a lot because she seems to have been giving Sparky her own food rations. Great snippet!

Lol. This is a cyborg romance. If this was part of my Cy-Ops Sci-fi Romance series, I could have themed it, “Saving the girl and the dog one mission at a time.” Lol.