In the Pets in Space Anthology, the tale of StarDog includes some nifty Faster Than Light (FTL) travel that is reached via “flashpoint.” It’s a series-wide concept explored in both Inherit the Stars and Farewell Andromeda that allows specialized ships to “slip the surly bonds of 3D” and enter another dimension—the Dark Energy Dimension or DEDspace—as an almost instantaneous way of traveling from point A to point Z in our galaxy.
You could think of flashpoint as a sort of a high tech magic carpet.
In present day, scientists aren’t even sure that Dark Energy really exists, only that, in theory, it must exist (along with Dark Matter) in order for the universe to work as it does. The problem is, we can’t see it. We can’t sense it. And we haven’t found a way to prove it’s really out there. We only know that, mathematically, the universe couldn’t function as it does without these two mystery forces. Based on these same calculations, scientists also theorize that we can only see a little over 4% of our actual universe, and the dark and mysterious components account for the other nearly 96% we can’t see.
When I started researching possible FTL travel, I didn’t want to use jump gates or hyperspace or any of a number of other ideas that had already been put to good use in science fiction. I needed to create something different. The concept that made the most sense to me is that Dark Energy actually exists in another unknown dimension. Okay, I could get my head around that. (And better yet, my muse seemed to latch on to the idea big time!)
Some theories purport there could be nine dimensions or more–though trapped in our mortal bodies, we’re only programmed to function within three–height, width, depth. Or maybe four, if you consider time a dimension onto itself. So what if the combined elements of Dark Energy and Dark Matter simply form another dimension–one that we could actually enter if we found a way and a means to do it? And in doing so, we could span huge distances in normal 3D space?
That’s the fictional science behind what my advanced prototype starships can do.
But I didn’t want to make it too easy for them. There is this one BIG catch.
Flashpoint is not fun. It alters the senses and perceptions, and it’s downright painful to enter for crew and passengers alike. It even drives some unfortunate souls insane. So it’s not a practical way to jump around the cosmos, even if it is a necessary one for a select few.
Like every “superpower,” this rare ability comes at a price.
Navigator Taro Shall has a mission no one wants – find a way to eradicate snakes on a starship. He never expects to find the answer to his problem in a charming street vendor named Adini. His already unusual mission becomes more complicated when he suddenly acquires an adorable StarDog that soon sweeps him and Adini into the maw of a brewing insurrection.
Laurie A. Green is a three-time RWA Golden Heart® finalist, an award-winning author, and a science fiction romance enthusiast who founded the SFR Brigade community of writers, which is now nearly 900 members strong.
She confesses to being an Andromeda Galaxy groupie and would someday love to own a vacation home on Mars or Titan. She’s enthused to be a part of this wonderful anthology mash-up of two of her favorite things–pets and space.
Her family includes her husband, David, four dogs, three cats and several horses, all who reside on a ranch in beautiful New Mexico. A former military budget director and reserve state trooper, she now spends her time writing, networking, researching, enjoying the Southwestern lifestyle and, naturally, stargazing and daydreaming about other worlds.
Pets in Space will be published October 11, 2016!
Even an alien needs a pet…
Join the adventure as nine pet loving sci-fi romance authors take you out of this world and pull you into their action-packed stories filled with suspense, laughter, and romance. The alien pets have an agenda that will capture the hearts of those they touch. Follow along as they work side by side to help stop a genetically-engineered creature from destroying the Earth to finding a lost dragon; life is never the same after their pets decide to get involved. Can the animals win the day or will the stars shine just a little less brightly?
New York Times, USA TODAY, Award Winning, and Best selling authors have eight original, never-released stories and one expanded story giving readers nine amazing adventures that will capture your imagination and help a worthy charity. Come join us as we take you on nine amazing adventures that will change the way you look at your pet!
10% of the first month’s profits go to Hero-Dogs.org. Hero Dogs raises and trains service dogs and places them free of charge with US Veterans to improve quality of life and restore independence.