There’s a lot of great things about being an author in general (it’s actually my dream job), but science fiction romance in particular has a lot going for it. Here are 10 fun reasons to write SFR:
1. You can use words like tentacles. How often do you get to do that in contemporary or historical fiction?
2. Forget tentacles. You can make up your own words to describe things. You’re not limited by the English language.
3. Time travel! You get to go into the future and bring all your reader friends with you!
4. You get paid for dreaming and imagining, for making stuff up. What a gig!
5. You can design the perfect man. He’ll be alien or cyborg, but perfect.
6. You can create the perfect woman. Ha. ha. Just kidding on this one. We women are already perfect. 🙂
7. Power trip! As SFR writers, we don’t only create characters (people) we create the worlds in which they live.
8. Freedom of expression. Science fiction and fantasy (and to some degree in paranormal), authors can express unpopular opinions without offending people in a way that contemporary fiction writers can’t get away with. Got something to say that’s controversial? Just create an alien world and have an alien say it.
9. No special knowledge required. Science geeks might gnash their teeth at this one, but you don’t have to have a science background to write science fiction romance. It certainly helps, but having that background is optional. Because it’s fiction.
10. Diversity. The SFR genre is broad and varied and encompasses many subgenres and tropes. People who say they don’t like science fiction/romance just haven’t been introduced to the right subgenre.
What do you think is fun about writing or reading science fiction romance?
Coming soon…Alien Attraction (Alien Mate 3)
Our attraction unleashes a perfect storm…
I’m Stormy Weathers. My love life on Earth is one natural disaster after the other. I’m attracted to bad boys, rebels, commitment-phobes. In a crowd of choirboys, I’ll manage to find the jerk. All I want is a man who’ll love me and my young son, so I’m going to an icy planet to become an alien’s mail order bride. This time will be different! The chemistry I feel with Romando is electric. It doesn’t matter what my sister or her mate or their tribe says, mutual attraction this strong can’t be wrong, so I’ll do anything to get him…
I’m Romando, an outcast in my own tribe. One rash, angry act turned me into a pariah and almost got me banished. But, what everyone resents the most is that I’m one of the lucky few who’ll be getting a mate. The instant Stormy Weathers blows into Dakon with the other Earth females, my horns tingle. She is meant for me, but I resist the instinct to claim her. You see, she’s related to my nemesis responsible for my outcast state. Honor and pride dictate that I reject her as a suitable mate before she undermines my best intentions. If only I could get her out of my mind…